Available July 1, 2023
The 15 virtual patient cases in Aquifer Neurology provide coverage of the clerkship guidelines endorsed by the American Academy of Neurology.
Development of the Aquifer Neurology course was led by Dr. Alexandra Hovaguimian, Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School, and Dr. Doris Kung, Associate Professor of Neurology at Baylor College of Medicine in collaboration with Aquifer, and the cases were written by neurologists at academic medical centers around the U.S. The course helps students learn the principles of neurology and integrate these principles into the care of their patients, providing an evidence-based, patient-centered approach and supporting the development of clinical problem-solving skills. With a range of cases spanning many specialties, the content stands alone as an educational tool or enriches an existing curriculum.
Neurologic disorders are common and can be associated with significant morbidity and mortality when not adequately diagnosed and treated. Given the critical shortage of neurologists in the U.S., Aquifer is proud to provide this training to ensure all future healthcare practitioners understand a framework to diagnose and treat essential common neurologic diagnoses.
- Created for educators, by educators, and covers the clerkship guidelines endorsed by the American Academy of Neurology.
- Available for institutional subscription or for direct purchase by individual subscribers
- Proven pedagogy that standardizes experiences—overcoming geography, seasonality, and accessibility
- Evidence-based, peer-reviewed, and continuously updated content
- A wealth of source material—including embedded assessment questions and full references—in each case
- Delivered via the Aqueduct teaching and learning platform, which includes user management tools, easy reporting on student progress and course usage, plus tools for creating custom courses to match a specific curriculum
The cases in Aquifer Neurology align with the American Academy of Neurology clerkship guidelines and provide realistic patient scenarios to help health professions students on a neurology rotation develop clinical reasoning skills. Each case also includes an embedded curricular thread that covers a related basic science or clinical excellence topic.
The development of the course was led by Dr. Alexandra Hovaguidmian, an Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School, and Dr. Doris Kung, an Associate Professor of Neurology at Baylor College of Medicine. The cases were written by neurologists at academic medical centers around the U.S.
Aquifer Neurology can be used by third-year medical students, PA students, and Nurse Practitioner students as a complement to a clerkship or course on neurology. Programs may choose to assign all 15 cases, or just a subset of cases for their learners.
Additionally, cases from Aquifer Neurology can be used to provide pre-clinical learners with exposure to this key topic, or combined with cases from our other courses into a custom course to support an elective or capstone course.
Aquifer subscriptions support use of our content across the full cohort of learners within a single accredited program
Neurology 01: 40-year-old male with progressive weakness
Neurology 02: 23-year-old female found unconscious
Neurology 03: 23-year-old female with episodes of confusion
Neurology 04: 9-month-old female with reflux and motor delay
Neurology 05: 34-year-old male with numbness and tingling
Neurology 06: 37-year-old female with upper extremity weakness
Neurology 07: 68-year-old male with essential tremor
Neurology 08: 51-year-old male with ptosis
Neurology 09: 75-year -old male with memory loss
Neurology 10: 7-year-old male with headache
Neurology 11: 24-year-old female with headache
Neurology 12: 70-year-old male with light-headedness and numbness
Neurology 13: 28-year-old female with dizziness
Radiology 09: 75-year -old male with memory loss
Radiology 10: 7-year-old male with headache
Aquifer Neurology Task Force
- Alexandra Hovaguimian, MD
- Doris Kung, DO, FAAN
- Andrew Branavan Giritharan, MD
- Stefanie Cappucci, MD, AOA
- Shivika Chandra, MD
- Miguel Chuquilin Arista, MD, MHPE
- Sydni Cole, MD
- Josh Edmondson, MD
- Jessica Goldstein, MD, FACEP
- Neil Magansky, MD, MS
- Ann Murray, MD
- Anh-Thu Ngo Vu, MD, MS
- Dennis Nyanyo, MD/MPP Candidate
- Margaret Swanberg, DO, MHPE
- Okeanis Vaou, MD, FAAN
- Wei Xiong, MD
- Jason Yoon, MD